I’m currently in an extreme oatmeal phase. Every night for the past few weeks upon returning from the gym, I prep some overnight oats for the next morning. And while those cute little mason jar breakfasts are great, spending the time making them every night can get tiring.
Not ready to give up my oatmeal addiction but in need of a change, I decided to make a big batch of baked oatmeal. This way, I can get my oatmeal breakfast prepared ahead of time and shake things up a bit.
Instead of using regular oatmeal, I opted for steel cut. Usually, I’m a little skeptical towards health trends, but after looking up the benefits of the newly popular steel cut oat variety, I decided to use them. Regular oatmeal is great, too, but steel cut has fiber, iron, and even protein (7g per 1/4 cup)!
This baked blueberry oatmeal is a great, filling breakfast that tastes suspiciously like cake. But don’t worry – at only 175 calories and full of great nutrients, it’s a great choice to start your morning.
Lighter Blueberry Baked Oatmeal w/ Steel Cut Oats
Serves: 6 | Prep: 10 min | Cook: 55 min | Total: 1 hr 5 min
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cashew milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Optional toppings: slivered almonds, fresh blueberries, brown sugar, etc.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9-inch diameter circular baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a heat-safe bowl, add the boiling water to the oats and stir. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Add the greek yogurt, vanilla extract, cashew milk, maple syrup, egg whites, cinnamon, flax, baking powder, chia, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and pour mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until set.
- Tip: if eating leftovers, it tastes best after spending about 30 seconds in the microwave.
Nutrition: Calories: 175 | Fat: 2g | Carbs: 25g | Protein: 7g