You may be noticing a recurring theme in all my pictures; the black granite backdrop with some healthy food on top, usually within the green-white-orange color spectrum. Don’t worry, though – I’m currently on a plane toward a destination that is sure to shake up my photographic repertoire.Can you guess where I’m headed? I’lll give you a hint: the backgrounds in this destination will likely consist of white sand beaches, fallen coconuts, maybe some scattered seashells…
Since I recognize that this could describe a variety of glorious destinations, I’ll just tell you: I’m headed to Aruba! It’s spring break, and my friend from Peru – Lauren – and I intend to spend our seven days there laying on the beach, bathing in the sun, and of course, cooking healthy foods.I haven’t been to the Caribbean since I lived in Barbados as a baby (which I have no recollection of, other than what’s been engrained into my brain via photo albums and secondhand memories). I have no idea what type of foods I might be inspired to make there, but I can’t wait to explore both the culinary possibilities and the island itself.
In the meantime, I offer you this protein-packed, low carb wrap that I brought with me on the plane this morning instead of a sandwich. What I have here is just the basic recipe; feel free to add jazz up the insides to your liking!
Low Carb Egg White, Arugula, and Turkey Wrap
Serves: 1 | Prep: 5 min | Cook: 5 min | Total: 10 min
- 3 tbsp egg whites
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 1/2 cup chopped arugula
- 2 thin slices turkey breast
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- salt & pepper
- Prepare a cool pan with a thin coating of cooking spray. Turn the heat to medium high, set the pan on the burner, and pour in the egg whites. Quickly (and carefully) swirl the pan so that the egg whites create a thin coating that covers the bottom of the pan, like a crepe.
- Once small bubbles begin to appear (after about a minute or two) and it looks like the centermost part is sturdy, carefully slide a wide spatula underneath and once you’ve got a good position under the egg whites, give it a quick flip.
- Cook for another minute then slide off the pan onto another surface (I put mine right onto foil for easy portability later).
- Gently spread the hummus onto the wrap, then add the arugula, turkey, green onion, salt & pepper, and whatever else you’d like to add.
- Recommended inclusions: mashed sweet potato, cabbage, sliced fresh strawberries, cottage cheese…
- Roll and enjoy!
Nutrition: Calories: 100 | Fat: 2g| Protein: 16g| Carbs: 4g