Today was seventy four degrees out – one of the warmer Spring days we’ve had so far – but rather than make some sort of cool, seasonal dinner, can you guess what I made?
Soup. Warm, delicious, and as my mom perfectly put it, tangy soup. And despite its seasonal inappropriateness, I relished shamelessly in its warmth.
You may be wondering – tang? Where does black bean soup get such a tang? The answer: three key, potentially surprising ingredients…. lime, Greek yogurt, and coffee. Lime probably seems typical for a black bean soup, or anything of Mexican origin for that matter, but coffee???? I know, I know. Just trust me on this one.
And don’t worry – the amount of coffee is small enough that you won’t even get a buzz before going to bed, so this can be eaten at any time of day (and any time of year, too).
Serve it as a side, or add the optional ham to make it a meal. Lighter than most black bean soups, this is simple to make and a great, healthy, whole choice!
Tangy Black Bean & Ham Soup
Serves: 10 (1-cup) servings | Prep: 15 min | Cook: 10 | Total: 25 min
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small, chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- 1 ½ cup salsa
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lime
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup chopped carrots + 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 3 min. Add cumin & chili powder and cook for one more minute.
- Add the beans, chicken broth, water, coffee, salsa, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, heat the second tsp of oil on medium heat and add the carrots. Cook until soft. If using ham, cube the ham steak and add to the pan with the carrots and cook until slightly browned.
- Add the lime juice into the soup
- Carefully pour half of the soup into a blender, add the Greek yogurt and lime, then puree. Pour back into pan and stir in the carrots and optional ham.
- Sprinkle in cilantro and enjoy!
(per 1 cup w/ ham): Calories: 147 | Fat: 3g | Carbs: 20g | Protein: 12g
(per 1 cup w/o ham): Calories: 116 | Fat: 2g | Carbs: 19g | Protein: 7g